|The origins of golf on the Fredericksburg Country Club’s property began in 1925 by a group of Fredericksburg area citizens. The original nine holes were laid out by James Gilmore Harrison who worked and studied under the renowned course architect, Donald Ross. The second nine holes were constructed in 1961 under the direction of the club’s PGA Golf Professional, Carl Rasnic. |
The most recent course renovations came in 2002 and were inspired by Ron Forse and Jim Nagle, members of the American Society of Golf Course Architects and Donald Ross Society, respectively. The 2002 renovation seeded in the high density A-4 bent grass on the putting surfaces while maintaining the Bermudagrass fairways and fescue/bermudagrass through the remainder of the property.
The redesign of the greens complexes, adjustment of teeing grounds and hole routings have positioned FCC as one of the most playable yet challenging layouts in Virginia. The course measures 6,705 yards from the back tees with ratings of 73.2/130 and par of 72. The forward tees measure 5,185 yards with ratings of 66.1/111 for the men and 70.4/120 for the ladies.
|"Short Course" at FCC|
In June 2016, FCC opened the "Short Course". The layout provides golfers the option of playing holes from 140 yards to 200 yards. The layout is on the back nine and is set for level one and level two beginning players.